Skip to content - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends
Go to the Department of Public Instruction Home Page
About DPI DPI Homepage DPI Contact Information DPI Employment opportunities DPI News DPI Forms Search the DPI website

Programs and Services
Academic Standards
Adult Education & Literacy,
   GED Services,
   Displaced Homemakers,

After School Programs
Child Nutrition & Food Distribution
Early Childhood Education
English Language
    Learner Programs

Federal Title Programs
Fiscal Management
Human Resources
Information, Communications &

Management Information Systems
Native American Education
Safe & Healthy Schools
School Counselor Programs
School Finance & Organization
Section 504
Special Education
Supplemental Programs
Teacher and Sch Effectiveness
Testing & Assessment
Title 1 Programs
ND Vision Services/
    Sch for the Blind

ND Sch for the Deaf/Resource
    Center for Deaf and
    Hard of Hearing

ND State Library
State Standards
Education Legislation
Administrative Rules
Frequently Asked Questions
Child Nutrition and Food Distribution Programs New and Hot Items Child Nutrition Programs Training Child Nutrition and Food Distribution Programs Child Nutrtition Partners About the Child Nutrition and Food Distribution Program FNP System Portal Child Nutrition Programs Home Page

Frequently Asked Questions about Farm Income and Household Size

Is it allowable to offset a negative farm/self-employment income from a wage income?

No. Each source of income is to be considered separately. People who farm or are self-employed are allowed to “offset” negative earnings within the farm self-employment calculation. However, when their net farm or self-employment income is a negative number, it is considered to be zero ($0.00).

A farmer didn’t get most of his crop planted this spring because of the
rains. The income on last year’s 1040 is not reflective of current circumstances. Do I have to use last year’s income figures in making a determination?

No. Farmers and other self-employed individuals are to use the information that is most reflective of the current income. If last year’s income is not reflective (because of either a current year gain or loss), then a projection of current income is to be made. This can be done by subtracting the farmer’s operating expenses from the gross receipts.

How do net operating losses affect a determination?

A net operating loss cannot be deducted from the other reported income.

Are disaster payments counted as income?

No. Disaster assistance payments made as the result of a presidentially- declared major disaster or presidentially-declared emergency are excluded from income. This includes federal disaster unemployment benefits received by households.

Are payments received as a result of an auction or sale for the purposes of paying off creditors, etc. counted as income?

Any payments received in a lump sum such as that which results from an auction or insurance settlement are not counted as income since they are not received on a regular basis. When lump sum payments are put into a savings account and the household regularly draws from that account for living expenses, the amount withdrawn is counted as income.

Members of a household become temporarily separated when the father moves to another town to take a temporary job. He intends to rejoin the rest of the household when the job ends in a few months. During his temporary absence he has also taken one of the children, who is enrolled in the school in the new town. How should the application for the child who has accompanied the father be completed with respect to household composition and income?

When family members are living apart temporarily, the application for each part of the household - the part that stayed, and the part that is temporarily living apart - should be completed the same way (unless some of the children are on Food stamps or TANF). Each application should show all household members for the full household, and income from all sources.

In determining household size, are students who are away at school considered part of the household?

Students who are away at school and who receive their primary support from the family, such as students who attend boarding schools or institutions of higher education, must be counted as a member of the household. Any income they receive must be counted toward household income.

horizonal rule

Home    |    Programs & Services    |    Resources    |    Grants    |    State Standards    |    Education Legislation

Administrative Rules    |    Links    |    Frequently Asked Questions    |    Site Map   

This site is best viewed with Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher

Get FireFox    Get Google Chrome   Get Microsoft Internet Explorer     Get Adobe Acrobat Reader

Visit the Adobe website for PDF accessibility tools.

Send mail to if you have any questions or comments.

North Dakota Department of Public Instruction
Kirsten Baesler, State Superintendent
600 E. Boulevard Avenue, Dept. 201
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505-0440

Disclaimer Statement